Welcome to the Editor's Daily Blog

Southern California Fire Journal.Com

Monday, July 13, 2009

Wildfire


I felt more like a baked potato on the ridge above the 405 freeway and Getty Center drive as I waited with LAFD dozer 12 on the ridge top above promontory point as a rapidly approaching wildfire was drawing near. I was covering the story for LAFRA and www.socalfirejournal.com in nearly triple digit temperatures, hiking in very steep terrain with heavy ground fuels on either side of me with active fire below. As the fire crested the ridge the dozer had to make a hasty retreat which meant I had to move twice as fast since I was on foot carrying 40 pounds of camera and safety gear. For a while I took refuge in the black, hot smoldering coals of burning brush and soot, as a spot fire crossed the line. Now laying down in my nomex safety gear and hot shield in place I could barely breathe as the thick smoke obscured my vision and sucked the oxygen right out of the air. Constantly shooting, I could hardly see the fire crew in front of me as air craft from above dropped water onto our position, missing the target, the rotor washed fanned the flames even to greater heights. I was happy to get off that ridge top.

No comments:

Post a Comment