Welcome to the Editor's Daily Blog

Southern California Fire Journal.Com

Friday, August 7, 2009

Wildfire Monterey County, Sam Jones Incident





Karl Malden promoted a slogan, "never leave home without them" referring to American Express Travelers Checks. Well, I use the same premise, never leave home without them, the cameras of course, you never know what you might run into. While driving to San Luis Obispo for a birthday dinner, I could see a large column of smoke building off in the distance near Fort Hunter Ligget, a prime breeding ground for large and fast moving brush fires. This loom up was towering in the western sky, with very dark smoke referencing very heavy fuel consumption. So off I went, diverting from a birthday dinner to a wildfire. Needless to say I still made it to the celebration on time, I just had to change out of my Nomex before getting to the restaurant. About 600 acres were consumed in the Sam Jones Fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment